Sunday, May 18, 2008

Reunion at the Stumbling Squirrel

To summarize: After drying off and having their wounds tended to by Varel, Orthos and Laurie traveled to Corcoran to reunite the child (whose name, they discovered, was Clementine) with her family, whereupon they learned that Bill’s son was “eated up” by a large snake. Meanwhile, the group at the hut was reunited with Womblie, who had followed them subsequent to his victory over the “yuan-ti.”

In the morning, they invited Varel to accompany them to Freybourne for delivery of the blue metallic cube to Lord Virgis “Deviltamer” Grimrune at the College of High Summoning, planning to meet up with Laurie along the way, as she had stayed the night in Corcoran.

Hobart accompanied Laurie to inform Bill of the sad news regarding his son. As one would expect, the man was distraught beyond reason, and he cursed the adventurers for failing in their promise.

Laurie was picking at her breakfast at the Stumbling Squirrel when she was rejoined by her companions, minus Womblie and Varel (and Wolfie, of course), who waited on the outskirts of town. As they talked and briefed one another on recent developments, some commotion could be heard outside.

In strode a small contingent of four Imperial Soldiers, followed by Bill. “There they are,” he said. “That one there” (he indicated Mercurio) “said ‘e was among ‘Is Excellency’s finest.”

“Thank you,” their captain said. “You may go. In fact, all patrons are excused while we speak with these adventurers.” The tavern quickly emptied, leaving the party alone with the soldiers.

The captain pulled up a chair and sat down beside them. “His Excelleny’s finest? I dare say, I think not. Surely you are aware of the penalties for posing as Imperial personnel?”



21 comments:

da solomon said...

Salbadore has been enjoying cleanliness and cooked food ever since arriving in town. Having gorged himself at Varel's hut - "I will repay every crust and seed I swallow," he promised her - he is now dressed in Orthos's clean clothes and nursing a light-colored ale. You probably didn't see how he got the drink; it was bartered in exchange for some healing, specifically the removal of a hang nail on the big toe of the inn mistress's left foot. You're a bit nosy, if you saw that.

Overhearing the comment, Salbadore seizes the initiative. "Good knights!"

He stands up and folds his arm across his belly as he bows. "Please come, hear our story - there are dangerous things afoot in Lakewood Forest."

"Forgive my appearance," he says as he rises. "My name is Salbadore Wolfgramm Cane, son of the Dom of Wolfgramm Woods. I was on a mission for Lady Belarva at the Lebenskraft Genomancer's Guild - I am to deliver this box to the Deviltamer himself at the College of High Summoning!

"Unfornately, I was waylaid by bogeys. These adventurers saved me." Pressing his fist into his heart, he pleads, "Please, take my word that the mistake made by this man was a misunderstanding and a breach of etiquette. There was no real crime and he has served the greater good.

"We have even retrieved a bauble that may help to identify the victims of the bogeys." He looks to Nibben.

"Besides," he continues grimly, "there are things that these people have seen that you need know about."

HomoDM said...

The captain returns Salbadore's greeting by standing and bowing in kind.

"I am Thorndike Constantine, a captain in His Excellency's infantry."

"Your reputation precedes you, sir. We have already been apprised of your party's bravery, having heard of your rescue of a missing child from the goblins of Lakewood. This, more than your infraction, is why I came to meet you."

"My company was transporting a prisoner and supplies from the south when we were set upon by Elves. We sustained significant casualties and only barely managed to fight them off. We have yet some distance to travel before we are to make our rendezvous with another company at the Imperial Road north of here."

"I had thought to conscript some men from this town to assist us until we reach our destination, but would prefer to draft you and your companions into temporary service for His Excellency instead. Clearly, your skills surpass those of the average bloke."

"Besides, the way I see it, having already passed yourselves off as His emissaries, it is only fitting that I make honest men of you. And you as well, Madam Bard, Master Gnome."

"Accept and your infraction will be dismissed. Refuse, and we may have more prisoners to deliver. What say you?"

fishofdeath said...

Laurie frowns when she hears the Captain tell of the Elven attack, and seems to lose any remaining interest in her food, listening closely to the rest of his words.

"It seems you leave us no choice in the matter, sir. Perhaps you could tell us something of the prisoner, that we might better know how to prepare ourselves?"

HomoDM said...

"The prisoner is contained," the captain says curtly. "You need not concern yourself with him."

fishofdeath said...

"Well, then, when do we leave?"

HomoDM said...

"One hour."

da solomon said...

"Hear then!"

Adjusting his breeches, Salbadore asserts, "I for one would be honored to serve His Excellency in even this small way.

"You have my aid, Captain."

HomoDM said...

The captain smiles. "I am both honored and gladdened to hear it, Salbadore Cane of Wolfgramm Woods. Another from your guild by the name of Stefane Flavius travels with us. He is just outside, if the two of you would like to get reacquainted."

Orthos said...

Orthos has spent the morning being flirtatious and flighty with both his companions, and the people of the tavern. He returns from his latest dalliance to listen to the conversation.
"I too will be honored to serve!" Says Orthos hastily, while trying to hide his embarrassment at his black teeth and tongue.

HomoDM said...

The captain regards Orthos' apparent lack of dental hygiene with mild distaste.

"A good decision," he says. Noting the sash, he remarks, "So we have here another magic-user. From Freybourne, I assume?"

da solomon said...

Salbadore eagerly answers before Orthos has a chance to open his mouth.

"Captain Constantine – He is a summoner, sent by Lord Virgis to speed along this box," he says and indicates the blue box. "I must be clear. We are honored to come into the service of Tyritrius, though our previous duties will not allow Orthos and I to take any wage for our services on this journey. As I mentioned, we have already been called upon by the Masters.

"In two or three days we should have reached the Imperial Road to Freybourne. Travelling with you will permit Orthos and I to take that ultimately longer but, I believe, much safer route to the Wizard’s College. That is when we must part ways.

"You understand that I appreciate the company and protection of your troop as much as you will appreciate ours."

Mercurio said...

Markus remains silent during the entire conversation. He keeps slowly finishing his stew and drinking his ale, all the while unable to wipe the giant, goofy grin off of his face. At the captains "request" to join him, Markus gives a thumbs up while sipping his ale.

HomoDM said...

The captain nods to Salbadore. "Yes, of course. Once we have joined our reinforcements at the Imperial Road, you and your companions will be discharged at once so that you may complete your previously assigned duty to conduct your parcel to the custody of Lord Virgis."

Order of the Broken Clock said...

Nibben had only been paying half attention to what's been going on, his thoughts focused on something else.

"Hello human authority figure! While I appreciate any human who is capable of discerning that I am in fact a gnome and not a dwarf or a halfling, I must say that I do not appreciate your insinuating that I am anything less than an honest or forthright gnome! I will have you know that the Badwrench clan is one of the most noble and honorable families!"

"I am more than willing to participate in this venture, but you really must be more careful what you say!"

HomoDM said...

Captain Constantine smiles and bows low. "Certainly no offense was intended, Master Gnome. I humbly accept your offer of assistance."

fishofdeath said...

Laurie pushes back her chair and stands up. "If you'll excuse me, Dear Captain, I need to get my things together and settle my accounts."

She walks over to the bar and talks to Hobart for a moment, handing him some coins, then walks towards the rooms in the back of the inn.

Mercurio said...

Markus finishes up his meal. "Roit, well then. 'Fore we lob off, I go' erransa run." He talks to Hobart as he pays for he meal. A large smile crosses his lips. He then heads back toward the rooms.

da solomon said...

As Laurie and Mercurio leave, Salbadore is finishing his ale. He too excuses himself from the table. "I ought to go meet Stefane. Thank you, Captain. Orthos, Badwrench." He tidies his clothes a bit and heads out the front door.

HomoDM said...

Constantine: "Yes, by all means make whatever preparations you see fit, and then meet us out front in one hour."

Mercurio said...

After a while, Markus makes his way back through the inn, heading toward the nearest tailor. He pays a fine sum for the largest of clothes available. He then, quickly, returns to Womblie.

"Sorry, mate. This nexa job look nasty. Empo-ror's mages an' whot. Na safa you, 'bo. So.. er... nex' bes'. Yeh, uh... yeh can 'elp by makin' sure no bad Bogey commouta th' cave at that. Yeah?"

Markus looks embarrassed, "Yeah, um. Do tha', roit? No' a... fekk. Sorry. I jus'... yeah. Yeah."

Markus looks around.

"Yeah, do 'at fo' me, roit 'bo? Thank ye'"

Markus mutters to himself as he walks back to town.

HomoDM said...

Clothed, Womblie shuffles off without a word.