The Stumbling Squirrel was crowded that sultry evening when fate first brought the travelers together under the same roof. The air was thick with pipe smoke and the fragrance of the Squirrel’s famed mutton stew, as well as the din of a dozen different discourses.Though Hobart was never short on patrons or jokes, tonight he felt distinctly uneasy. The crowd was usually jovial, glad for the opportunity to rest their feet and backs after a full day of heavy timbering. They never failed to laugh at the antics of Tipsy the squirrel, who loved nothing more than to lap at a bowl of ale and caper drunkenly around the rafters, even if they had beheld his antics countless times before.
But on this night, there was a conspicuous lack of laughter. Another child had gone missing in Lakewood Forest, the second in as many weeks. Corcoran had come to expect the occasional loss of a mare or ox from predators, but the disappearance of two little ones in succession suggested something more sinister. The townspeople spoke in anxious, mirthless tones, speculating as to whom or what might be responsible, and whose babe might be next.
The lady bard had been the first traveler to arrive. Ordinarily she might have attempted to raise the spirits of the Stumbling Squirrel’s customers with a song, but she was able to intuit that her music would have seemed a frivolous and unwelcome distraction tonight. So instead she listened, and watched.
Less than an hour later, a self-professed scoundrel entered the tavern on the heels of the setting sun. He slapped some coins on the bar for dinner and a drink, and then another drink. His jocular, garrulous demeanor was quite at odds with the prevailing mood of the room. Perhaps he did not notice the sidelong glances of those who had suddenly become suspicious of strangers, or perhaps he did not care.
Last to arrive was a young man, whose pale skin and dark hair contrasted vividly with the scarlet sash he wore that marked him as a novice wizard, most likely from the college in Freybourne. Of the three travelers, he appeared the most out-of-place, and all eyes were upon him as he crossed the threshold.
[Players, please comment with your character’s actions.]
18 comments:
Mercurio sits down at a nearby table with his stew and his ales. He leans back on his seat, propping both feet, spread-eagle on the table. He sloppily eats up half of his stew, downs his first bottle of ale, finishes the stew, and downs the second. He opens his mouth with a weird grin and holds his empty bowl as if to throw it to the bar. He looks around the bar and then pauses. He sets the bowl down gentle on the table and stands up.
"Fer Fek Sake, peeple. We all have shite days. I havin' one now. Now ain't time fer mopin' the shite days. Now time we have the funs and ferget. That why th' Higher Aboves made th' booze. We can feel like the dog's shite tomorrow. Tonight we have the funs."
He looks around at the lack of responses.
"And th' first rounz on me, only if ye promise ta cheer th' Fe- ta cheer up."
He sits back down.
"Sheiss."
Mercurio's attempts at forced levity and cheer are met with silent, stony glares of reprisal from the crowd.
Hobart intervenes before things have a chance to get nasty: "Oi come now lads, 'e just a stranger, don't know what goin' on! Cut 'im a break, eh? You 'eard right, drinks on 'im. Comin' right up!"
He leans in close to Mercurio and whispers, "'Ey brother, ye need to be more careful wi' that tongue a' yers, eh? Now normally this be a glad place, but folks're rather upset 'bout some wee ones gone missin' in the wood. So they're not much in th' mood for cheer just now, or mouthy types."
"As fer the round, that'll be 30 silvers if ye please."
Orthos, wearing a frown, just looks back at the crowd surveying their faces. After Mercurio's comotion he gives him a sly wink and says, "I'll have some mead," and then approaches the bar.
"Hey Barkeep, I don't suppose a caravan came by here recently?" He pauses looking around, then says more quietly, "and tell me more about what's happenned to the little ones, while you're at it."
Laurie walks over to the bar as well. "I'll have a glass as well, since this fellow has saved me from having to sing for my supper."
She holds out her mug and studies the amber liquid as he fills it to the brim. "I would be interested in hearing these tales as well. Perhaps something I've come across in my travels could provide some insight."
Hobart sets flagons of mead before Orthos and Laurie.
"Aye brother, caravans come and go all th' time. As fer th' children, yer guess is good as mine... though if yon lady 'as any insights to share, we would all be very grateful." He smiles at Laurie, revealing a gap between his two front teeth.
To Orthos: "So what's yer name, young master wizard, and te what do I owe th' honor? Not many o' yer stripe come through those doors."
(Snatches of conversation from various tables)
“Elves, I’m sure of it! Who else would do such a thing? Rotten bastards!”
“But I didn’t hear any thunder, did you?”
“So? Maybe these ones’re different. Sneakier...”
“No doubt it was that witch-girl who lives in the wood. I knew there’s something not right about her.”
“Aye, she keeps company with wolves! 'T ain’t right at all.”
“Gads! Think she’s one of them skinchangers?”
“Could be, lads. Maybe it’s time we did something about her...”
“When Ol' Hairy-Arms told me he saw a giant snake in the forest, I thought he was daft, or drunk, or just full of shit with another of his tall tales. But maybe he really did see something..?”
Mercurio nods at the Barkeep and leans in to whisper to him. "Oy, me apologeez, mate. Didn't know there... there... wee ones y'say? Fek's Jizz. I s'pose gettin' up an' apologizin only make things worse, eh? They tired o' me babblin' tongue."
Mercurio looks around and continues to talk quietly to the barkeep. "Oh, Jek's Fez. 'ere. Don' tell this sad lot, but th' next next round on me. Well, as much as this covers, mate. I ain't made o' gold. And don' include that pale dude again. 'E can pay hisself." Mercurio slides some coins over to Hobart.
"Oh, an' ya ears ken anythin' juicy bout th' lost wee ones, lemme know. I might be fer 'elpin," he says with a wink.
Hobart's thick eyebrows jump up his forehead an inch upon seeing Mercurio's generous gratuity. He quickly palms the money and slides his hand under the bar.
"Much appreciated, brother! And any 'elp ye could offer te find th' kids'd be very welcome, indeed."
"No one knows anythin' fer certain, but there sure be a lotta talkin'. Some folk think it be Elvish work. I ain't seen, but I 'eard they been in the area... I know one caravan comin' through te Freybourne a little while ago decided te detour south cuz of some 'bad weather' to th' east."
"Other folk think it be a werewolf te blame... started wi' cattle, now after somethin' a little more tender maybe. Others suspect withcraft. One feller even say he saw a giant snake out in th' wood!"
Mercurio listens intently to Hobart, only snorting contentiously a few times. "I na fortune tella or nothin, 'bo, but I thinkin it not the Elves. If it were, 'is Greatne- Excellency's Finest be hear to, well, make things betta."
Mercurio takes a sip from his ale and continues in a more hushed tone. "Tha caravan that wen' Sout' got me interested. How long ago that? Any word from ones after th' detour? They see any o' this werewolf or Elf or snake stuffs? Also..." Mercurio takes another gulp and wipes his eyes. "Sorry, brotha, this- this bisness bout the wee ones got me... jes'... jes got me. S'all. Ya nae got a place where they was- was las' seen or not, do ye?" Mercurio wipes his face and takes another drink.
Laurie watches the exchange between Mercurio and Hobart with interest. "Doesn't sound like Elves to me either. But something's got to be done. You, sir...you said you'd be interested in helping? Sounds like we got a little posse going. I'm Laurie. What's your name?"
Hobart addresses Mercurio's questions while loading up a tray with drinks.
"Hmm, lessee.. musta been about a fortnight since those merchants stopped in, give or take a few days. As fer the wee ones, all I 'eard they was last seen around Lakewood."
Mercurio talks quietly to Hobart: "Lakewood? The... ah.. forest round 'ere, right 'bo? I ain't nativ-" He turns as he hears a voice addressing him. "Oy! Ain't ye heard a private convo-," he stops as he sees Laurie. He looks her up and down with a leering eye. A broad smile appears on his face. He continues, "Er- pardon, love. Me name Markus, and ye ken join me adventure party at yeh leisure, m'dear. Th' High Above know I ken use summon' wif a good set o'... uh... ears as you 'ave."
He turns back to Hobart, "Er... Lakewood, fortnight, yeah. 'Nuther two mugs o' yer strong stuff while we at it."
"My name's Orthos," he replies to the bartender. "While it's not the reason I came, I can't in good conscience pass through without trying to do what I can to help you, now that I've heard your troubles. I think I'll investigate some of these people's claims, and see if any of them have something to do with the problem at hand. Tell me, is there anything more you can give me on any of these claims, such as a landmark, or a direction?"
"Well met, Master Orthos," Hobart said, bowing. "What a bless-- er, what good fortune that ye all 'ave come in our hour o' need!"
"If Lakewood ye seek, it be only a short distance west o' town."
"Well then, Mr. Markus and Mr. Orthos, if you'll join me, I suggest we go to Lakewood on the morn. In the meanwhile, Mr. Markus, while I'll gladly take your drink, I suggest you make sure it's only your eyes that are upon my...ears."
Mercurio briefly spits up some of his ale at Laurie's comment. He leans into the bar and shouts at Hobart "Sorry mate! And, eh... leave the bottle nex' refill."
He turns back to Laurie, smiling. "Oy, yeh dignity safe, love. It not unsayd Markus naught but a gentlefolk with ye fairer sex. 'Sides, don't want yeh horseride tamorry ta be all uncomfortable, do we?"
Laurie smiles and laughs at Mercurio. "Why I never! You Cad!" She winks and takes another drink.
Orthos raises his drink, "Luck be with us tomorrow then." He laughs as he toasts, but continues to frown all night.
Post a Comment