Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The shrine and the pit

The goblins' shrine contains an odd assortment of items, likely appropriated from previous sacrifices. In addition to the leather tome, thereupon lies a broken longsword, a silver ring, and a woman's scalp with a mother-of-pearl comb still embedded within the fine blonde locks. The stone wall above the shrine is painted red (with blood?), upon which has been inscribed a serpentine device. Even those among the party who have been schooled in various barbaric tongues can only speculate as to its significance.

The clamor and guttural gibbering of the surviving goblins continues to be heard echoing throughout the cavern and the adjacent corridors and chambers, though the sounds grow more faint with every moment that passes.

Meanwhile, a magnificently fetid odor continues to waft from the dark pit. Inspection with torches and other light sources reveals it to be another tunnel, plunging deeper into the ground at an acute angle.

16 comments:

Orthos said...

Orthos sweeps the items into his backpack saying, "We may be able to identify some of their victims with these, but that can wait until later." He leaves the tome and raven unmolested. Turning to face the rest of the group he says, "Out the way we came? Or deeper to search for more captives or root out the source?"

fishofdeath said...

Laurie looks over at Orthos. "We need to root out the source, or it may never stop."

da solomon said...

The man gobbles the rations down. Whatever they are, he doesn't notice.

"Thank- thank you," he mumbles between bites. "It's so good!"

With some care and some food, he seems to be feeling a bit better. Steadying himself on a knee, he stands up mostly straight and turns to face Varel. He makes a tic with his tongue and the raven caws again before flapping onto his shoulder.

"Her name is Mayna, she is a most clever raven, and she is with me. My name is Salbadore Wolfgramm Cane." He takes Varel's hand. "It is very good to meet you. And you have my gratitude!" He adds a half-hearted flourish with his other hand.

He takes a few weak steps towards the altar and the book. "The tome is also dear to me. You'll see that the Wolfgramm seal is pressed into the back cover."

Leaning on the altar, he pants, "Down that hole - those nasty jacks wanted to send me down there. No, I wasn't fat enough for them, but I was fat enough for what pet they mistake for a god." He grimaces and shudders as he scoops the book into his cloak. "Why, I'd like to see it wiped from Tyritrius. But not now - I'm far -" he slides down the altar and sits on his ass, legs splayed "- from fit."

"Who are you lot? I would bet that your children were too small like me and tossed."

Sema4 said...

Varel eyes the contents of the altar. "These treasures shouldn't be left here. Perhaps one of should carry them out with us? I would but if we find heavier riches I won't be able to carry them without slowing us down." Varel then flexes her skinny arms sarcastically.

HomoDM said...

Mayna the raven preens her feathers while the humans converse. Wolfie, his ears swiveling to detect any sign of danger, licks his wound and gnaws on the goblin chieftain's staff. Nom nom nom.

Mercurio said...

Markus keeps looking down into the large hole, covering his nose and mouth with an end of his cloak. "Sheiss, lookin' we bloody got go down ennis. We kill tha' god, they na commat us."

He looks at Salbadore. "Ye'... yeh cannae walk or... fekk. Oh, anni Markus, mate," he says with a nod.

He responds to Varel, "Lass, I thinkina Orthos awready nicked th' jink."

He looks back into the hole.

"Oh, fekk. I goin innat. Summon 'old me torch or do sommat magicsa we see-sights innat hole. But nae too much. I want th' pip at me back inna shadows wiffis bolts ready." He smiles and turns to Nibben, "Y'ep ferrat, mate?"

Order of the Broken Clock said...

Nibben waves at Salbadore with a big smile on his face.

"Hello very naked human! My name is Nibben and I hope very much that you find some clothes to cover your shame."

Nibben then walks to the edge of the hole and looks at Markus.
"Common is a second language to me, and I'm not so good with accents so you'll have to forgive me when I say I only partially understood what you said. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you want me to follow you down there? If so, I'd be more than happy to back you up! If not, um, I'm sorry I misunderstood?"

Mercurio said...

Markus starts to laugh quite loudly, but catches himself early on. He smiles at Nibben. "Firs' off, mate. I notta one wiffan accent. The ova blokes wa' it. Secun," he clears his throat, "frien', it would pleaz meh- me greatly if ye-you joined me at my back with your able crossbow. I sal-lute your abilities in stealth a-ay-and would benefit from your services at my side. Or back. Or... Fekk, ya ken me jib-jab, mate?"

He looks back at the hole.

"Jizzal's Fekk, Die befo' ye' old," he says as he dives into the hole.

HomoDM said...

Mercurio carefully proceeds into the hole, with Nibben following behind, his crossbow at the ready.

The tunnel begins its descent as a gentle slope that quickly becomes much more steep and treacherous before making an abrupt vertical downturn. Mercurio almost loses his footing for a moment on some loose gravel, but catches himself in time to prevent a disastrous fall.

Using his torch, Mercurio can see that the vertical aperture leads to another cavern and estimates the drop to be roughly 20 feet. Although the floor cannot be made out from here, something (coins? jewels?) glimmers weakly from below, reflecting the light.

da solomon said...

Resting against the altar, Salbadore's eyelids are half-shut, but he seems to be paying attention to the conversation. He nods in agreement with Varel's suggestion and raises his hand to acknowledge Markus. When Nibben points out Salbadore's nudity, he sits up just enough to check him out before tiredly throwing a corner of Orthos's cloak over his lap.

Sema4 said...

Varel walks carefully down the steep passageway to Mercurio's position, with Wolfie following closely behind. As she moves down that passageway her light spell illuminates a twenty foot radius around her. She peers down curiously at what lies below.

Sema4 said...

Varel adds, "You should know that the cool faerie powers of LIGHT will only be lasting for another seven or so minutes. Does anyone have a torch? I should have asked those nice farmers for one. Well, at least my hut isn't in cinders."

(ooc Check out Varel's blog for an artistic interpretation of our most recent fight! :D)

HomoDM said...

Surprise!!

As Varel leans over to see the other cavern for herself, a colony of bats swarms upward through the tunnel and into the shrine chamber above!

[All PCs in the tunnel please email me Dex check rolls.]

Mercurio said...

Markus looks at Varel, looks at the torch he's carrying in his off-hand, then back at Varel. "I ken we be fine, lass," he whispers. "Tho, I mi' be- FEKK!" The last word he shouts as a swarm of bats envelope him.

HomoDM said...

With a stereotypically girly shriek, Varel goes tumbling down into the cavern below! Wolfie selflessly dives in after her...

Mercurio said...

"Klebrige Hurenfotze!" Markus utters as he attempts his best controlled slide to follow Varel.