Sunday, June 29, 2008

Midnight bounty

The heavy oak door to Orthos' dormitory flies open and in Qroc flutters, clearly still somewhat inebriated from the festivities earlier.

"Whoooo! Okay. Baby humans. Good work, babies. You came through! If I were interested, I'd ask what took you so fuckin' long. But I'm not, and it doesn't matter anyway, so.. yeah, great job!"

"Adventurers. You all look so funny! I love you guys. Anyway. You like treasure, right? Yeah, it's all about the ducats. Hell, it's bread and butter to you cunts."

He snaps his fingers and a small bag appears in his little clawed hands.

"Here you go, Orthos," he says, producing an aged, crusty tome from the bag. "It's a book full of... whatever it is you conjure. Spirits? Bullshit? I dunno. Anyway, it's all yours! And some coin for your troubles," he adds, pulling out a small sack plump with gold and clumsily tossing it at him.

"Um. As for the rest of you fuckers... I don't really know you or what you like, so I can't promise that there's anything in my bag specially for you. I mean, there's plenty of gold to go around, sure..." He smiles wickedly. "But there is also a more interesting alternative."

He pulls out a shabby deck of cards.

"Shhh. Don't tell the Master I took these. I'll deny it and make your life hell. He never uses them anyway. Too unpredictable, he says. But also very powerful. How powerful, you ask? These cards can totally change your life - for better or worse." He giggles knowingly.

"So who wants to go first? Will you take whatever's in my special bag here? Or will you chance a draw from the Deck of Many Things?"

56 comments:

Orthos said...

"Thank you, Qroc." Orthos hops onto his bed and sits with the book in his lap, flipping through, skimming the pages. "I knew it!" he cries after one page, and "It's Saint of Snares!" after another. He seems quite pleased.

Sema4 said...

Varel arrives late to the party, the delicious scent of fresh goodberry pie wafting into the room. "I brought pie! I made it myself." She then uncorks a bottle of common wine and passes it around. "To the fellowship of... drat, we need a name. To us! Cheers!"

Varel listens to Qroc intently. Despite her habitual wariness of spirits her curiousity gets the best of her. "A deck of many things? Good spirit, I shall take five cards if it pleases you."

da solomon said...

So late in the evening, and after such an exhausting evening, the gentle silver blush that hangs over the interior of the dormitory chamber is a welcome surprise.

Orthos settles comfortably into his bed with his new spellbook. He engrosses himself in it immediately. Salbadore – who, like Qroc, is also apparently under the lingering effects of the night’s poisons – coughs a little and compliments Orthos on his acquisition. “Congratulations, ol’ boy! That looks to be a fine piece of odd-ol’ arcanum you have there.” Handing a slice of Varel’s pie to him, Salbadore confides in him. “He cares not, but in carrying Lord Virgis' gift, I have been beset such woe . . . even if I ken not its exact contents, I think it best to avoid these further evils.” He nods at Orthos knowingly, as if passing on some insight to a junior associate.

Salbadore turns to accept a piece of pie from Varel just as she completes her own request. “Egad, lass – five cards? Why, let’s just see if you come out of this whole.”

He sets his pie down and steps forward to the imp. “I’ve been debased and caged and seen two chums turned to meat. And here I am pausing when what little thing as this is blithely going to tempt the universe not once, not twice, but five times?” He snorts. “Now, then. What worse could happen to me now? I’ll be drawing in due order.”

da solomon said...

"Oh, and:" Salbadore adds, "Shall we not forget poisoned?"

HomoDM said...

Although Qroc did not seem to have any liquid in his mouth that you noticed, he pulls off a very convincing spit-take upon hearing Varel's request.

"Five?!"

The foul little fiend quickly recovers his composure and smiles in a most non-reassuring manner. His barbed tail lashes through the air behind him, just as an agitated cat's might. His hands shake a bit as he holds the deck out to Varel, his entire body aquiver at the vast potential for chaos about to be unleashed.

"Well, well. Aren't you a brave girl. Heh heh. Fine then. Draw to your heart's content!"

[Jay, please give me five d20 rolls.]

Mercurio said...

Markus takes a slice of pie and an extra long sip of the wine bottle before passing it around. He looks around at the current conversation and feeling confused and a little out of place.

"Ye mi-" he starts to say with his mouth full of pie, before pausing a moment to chew and wipe his lips on his arm. "Ye folk seema ken wot these Deck o' Cards at. Any ye light the dark wot them about?"

Orthos said...

Orthos thanks Salbadore for the pie, smiling. "I'm quite happy with my reward. All I've had to study are dusty, half ruined tomes. Personally, Dorey, I'd have him check his bag for you, and leave the tempting of Fate to the next time, you're debased, caged or poisoned. Your life is yours to change, not the province of a deck of playing cards, or the devil that tempts you with them."

da solomon said...

Biting his lip, Salbadore begins to respond, "Ay, Orthos, you're right on that" - he shuffles a bit in his place - "a strong man shapes his life with his own hands . . ."

He casts a glance to the little hellion, not two steps away. It twitches, percolating with anticipation.

". . . perhaps I should let the lass cast her life to the dice. Shall we . . . at least see what fate she pulls from the devil's hands?"

da solomon said...

Absently-mindedly, Salbadore puts his finger to his mouth. Wagging it in Markus' direction, he adds, "The Deck, I think, might generate any number of random effects, good or bad, depending on the card drawn. Surely, it could kill you; yet it might make you a king. Beyond that, who's to say what it is? Powerful, deeply basal magics . . ."

HomoDM said...

Varel draws a card, looks at it, and puts it back. The Deck shuffles itself. Qroc grins all the while as she draws four more times in the same manner.

"That wasn't so terrible now, was it?" He asks, as Varel's new party duds decompose into filthy rags.

Sema4 said...

Varel gasps in horror. "Foul thief!" She angrily pours her wine from its bottle, shaking out the spoiled beer and cockroaches. She storms out, yelling "I swear by the gods, if you did anything to my wolf your master won't save you from my wrath!"

fishofdeath said...

Laurie arrives at the room a couple minutes past the hour, dressed back in her tunic and pants. She studies Qroc as he makes his offer, thinking for a moment.

"Well, I suppose this is just the sort of thing I was warned about, but I'm feeling adventurous. I shall draw three."

HomoDM said...

"As you wish, dearie," Qroc snickers.

Laurie draws a card, looks at it, and puts it back. The Deck shuffles itself. She draws twice more in this manner.

As she replaces the final card, it is as if a veil is lifted from your eyes, and you're seeing Laurie - the real Laurie - for the first time.

Her delicately pointed ears and fine features give away the Elven blood that runs strongly in her veins.

"Hoo hoo hoo!" Qroc howls. "Such a juicy secret! Such quiet, delightful deceit! My lady, I commend you!"

Orthos said...

Orthos, looks wearily at Laurie, not sure what to make of her. Then he hops to his feet, setting his book aside. "The more I watch, the more I'm intrigued. Tell me good Qroc, how exactly does this work?"

da solomon said...

As Laurie pulls her second card, Salbadore implores her, "No! Please, take no more!" She draws her third card. "You have seen what ill fortune has befallen Varel!" - she replaces her third card "- and who knows what could happen -"

The effects of the draw begin to settle upon Laurie's features. It is as though a film has been scrubbed from Salbadore's eyes.

"You are a spy!"

Orthos said...

"Oh, I'm not asking for myself. I just wish to give sound advice to my friend Salbadore. Perhaps a demonstration of how to do it properly is in order. The women seem to have come out behind, why don't you draw a few and garner some power for yourself, show us relatively slow baby humans how it's done."

HomoDM said...

Qroc: "Orthos, baby, let me explain this to you. I'm only gonna say it once, so listen well. I'm not mortal. I'm a demon. I dwell beyond the fate from which these cards were--"

"...spy!"

The group falls quiet as Salbadore's accusation echoes loudly against the stone walls of Orthos' tiny room.

fishofdeath said...

While not the awesome and terrifying visage of the stormraiders, Laurie's face does indeed reveal her strong elven ties. Her features are sharp and angular, her wide eyes almost almond-shaped. Her thick red hair, though, speaks to her non-elven ancestors.

For a moment, she seems puzzled by Qroc's remarks after she drew the card, but as Salbadore speaks, a look of realization, then fear, crosses her face. "No! Please! At least let me try to explain before you call the guards."

Orthos said...

"Is this not just some trick of the magic deck?"

da solomon said...

"Nay, excuses and explanations are not needed." The young mage's back stiffens before the half-elf.

"When Flavius was fighting - when he was having a lightning rod shoved through the top o' his skull -" Salbadore looks as though he is going to collapse to tears "- you were busying yourself with a prisoner of His Excellency!"

He turns to the imp. "Qroc, I will take my reward and report this criminal to the guards."

Salbadore turns a spiteful gaze to the bard again. "Laurie, consider the time thus bought to be the repayment of my debt to you - and flee."

Sema4 said...

Soon after addressing the imp Varel angrily left the room.

fishofdeath said...

Laurie seems almost on the verge of tears. "It really wasn't that way. I...his death was as much a surprise to me as it was to you. I mean, I wasn't even supposed to be there, but that Captain shanghaied us. And if you had known who I really was, would you even have given me the time of day? You don't know what it's like, living between two worlds, not allowed to be a part of either."

HomoDM said...

"As you like," Qroc says to Salbadore, digging through his bag, obviously disappointed by the young wizard's lack of daring.

"Here's some gold for you," he says, yawning. He drops a small sack of coin to the ground, jingling as it lands heavily on the stone floor.

"Anything else in here? Oh, so that's where I had put it!" He pulls out a small ebony figurine of a housefly. "I guess I don't really need it," he says, and drops it onto the floor as well.

"One more thing, I think!" He plucks an unadorned gold ring from the bag and adds it to the small pile of loot.

"There you go, kid. All yours."

HomoDM said...

As Laurie pleads her case, Qroc snaps his fingers and a tiny violin appears beside her, playing a tune of lament.

da solomon said...

As he takes in Laurie's pleas, Salbadore wipes the first hints of tears away from his eyes.

Salbadore bends over and picks up his gains. "Thank you, Master Devil." He dons the ring immediately, and tucks the other items inside his shirt.

"Good evening, everyone. If anyone should need to find me, I will be retiring to a chamber on the sunlight side of the hallway."

He turns to walk away. "Mayna: guard," he commands, and the raven hops onto his shoulder, facing the party as Salbadore walks away.

"Make haste, girl."

Orthos said...

"Salbadore. Wait, please. I think we shoould talk about this. Her heritage is unfortunate, but not proof of being a spy. Let's meet in the morning, speak of this level-headed, as men should. Let me walk you to your room." Orthos picks up his book and hurries after Salbadore.

Order of the Broken Clock said...

Nibben has been spending a lot of time in the shadows, taking in sights and making notes. When people begin drawing cards, he curiously looks at the deck, pained at having to choose between treasure. As soon as the accusations break out, he pays attention.

"I think the term 'spy' is a very harsh word. She should be allowed to at least explain why she felt it was necessary to lie to everyone. After all, these are not the safest times we live in!"

Mercurio said...

Markus looks at Laurie during her transformation. He tilts his head to the side, and studies her with a confused look on his face. Then he smiles.

"Well, tha' answers a lo' o' questions."

He looks down at were Varel was standing, at few remaining cockroaches and spoiled beer. He looks again to Laurie. He then turns to Qroc, "Nae affense, Scratch, bu' yer masters cards look tha shite. I'll take wot's in th' bag, that."

He looks out where Salbadore stormed off. "Guess somma us should split 'fore 'e gets back. Don' ken e' fer lissenina me. An' I ain't shankin no spook ina house o' spooks."

da solomon said...

Salbadore continues down the hallway.

HomoDM said...

"Alrighty then," the imp says to Mercurio, "let's see what's in Uncle Qroc's bag for you."

He rummages around and drops another pouch of gold, a pair of fine leather gloves, and a rock onto the floor.

He looks next to Nibben. "Well then, what'll it be? More crap from my bag, or would you rather take your chances with the Deck of Many Things?"

fishofdeath said...

Laurie waits and watches while Qroc dispenses his largesses to Mercurio.

She smiles half-heartedly, "So, Merc, is it? I think I'll take you up on that offer to 'see the town proper.'"

Mercurio said...

Markus smiles at Laurie. He gets a devillish look on his eye. He then looks at the spoiled beer and the one or two cockroaches left, and his face softens.

"Roit, lass. Let's off. I ken we needa find th' witch lass, that. Freybourne alo' bigger'n Corcoran. She gon' git shanked 'less she go' 'er pup wiffer. An' even then..." He gets a distant look.

He turns back to Laurie, "An' 'ow ye' ken me name? Ya go'-" he pauses, then snaps his fingers, "th' elf ears! Ya heard me mates? Oh, an speakin' o' that. Les' ge' yeh a hat o' somethina them ears."

He turns to Nibben, "Ye' comin, lad? If so, 'urry up an' snatch ye' loot, pip. This be ya crash-course in Cockney."

He looks back at both Laurie and Nibben. "Oy, yeh, an' yeh, me real name Mercurio. Ya gon' 'ear me mates call me tha' t'noit then. We call on Orthos, too? Or ya ken 'e broodin wiffis new book?"

fishofdeath said...

"I think he's probably trying to calm his friend still, however doomed an enterprise that will be. Let's just get out of here. I don't want to stick around much longer..."

Laurie turns towards the door, and opens it to walk out, but when her foot crosses the threshold, she disappears.

Orthos said...

Orthos returns to his room and looks everyone over. "Oh, I guess I missed Laurie. We should probably find Varel. Maybe find you guys a place to stay in town instead. Just in case."

HomoDM said...

Nibben seems to be torn between the bag and the Deck. Just when he seems to have decided, he begins another bout of second-guessing. An agonizingly long amount of time passes, and still he isn't quite sure.

"Oh for fuck's sake," Qroc huffs impatiently, "just pick one and be done with it!"

"Fine," Nibben says finally. "I'll take the bag."

"Take it then!" Qroc says, and tosses the entire bag at the gnome's feet. Examining it, he finds that it is larger on the inside!

Within is a small pouch of gold, as well as a strange metal cylinder labeled "Lemon Pledge."

Mercurio said...

Mercurio opens his mouth to say something, then watches Laurie disappear.

He blinks once.

Then he blinks again.

"Well, sheiss."

He sits in a chair and picks up the nearest bottle of wine, is about to sip it as a cockroach crawls out. He sets it down.

"Fekk."

He turns to Orthos as he returns. "Nah, mate, she jus'... vanish! 'Guess Salbadore snitched roit quick, that."

He blinks and snaps out of his reverie. "Roit, me ana pip go fin' Varel, an you stay 'ere case Laurie pop back, ken? I can gi' usa placa 'ole up."

He stands up and looks at his newfound loot before returning it in his pack. He turns to Nibben, "Oy, iffin yeh comin' wiff me, mate, we should change our 'mi-.. our clothes. We gon' get shivved if we dally 'bout in these gets."

Order of the Broken Clock said...

Nibben looks at the bag intently. He holds it up, over his head, amazed by the bag's capacity. even going so far as to stick his entire head, then body into it.

"This is truly amazing! And I don't know what it is, but I'm sure I'll need more 'lemon pledge' at some point."

Nibben seems more than happy to accompany his companions into town trying very hard to understand Mercurio.

Orthos said...

"Nah, Salbadore was with me. Just out in the hallway. If someone already knows it's because of the deck or Qroc."
He turns to Qroc.
"Was it Virgis, Qroc? Or I suppose it could be Elves."

HomoDM said...

"Uh.."

Qroc looks around uncomfortably.

"Well, looks like my work here is done! Smell you chumps later!"

With that, he turns into a tiny pinpoint of reddish light and whizzes out of the room.

Orthos said...

Orthos calls after Qroc, "Happy Birthday, Lord Virgis!"

He then turns to the rest of the group. "At least we're alone now. If you leave me some way to contact you, I can send word of Laurie as soon as I find out what happened."

Order of the Broken Clock said...

"Well, I suppose we can make a few discrete inquiries around town and see what comes up."

Sema4 said...

Varel enters ths room, avoiding the glares of her companions and collapsing into the corner. She attempts to act normal for a moment, but when the concerned eyes of her companions meet hers she collapses into the fetal position and begins crying uncontrollably.

HomoDM said...

There is a soft knock at the door.

It is Philostrato, one of the advanced instructors and something of an "administrative assistant" (i.e., lackey) to the headmaster.

"Master Orthos, my apologies for the interruption at this late hour, but Lord Virgis would like to speak with you briefly. Won't you please follow me?"

Orthos said...

"Well here's Varel. Are you okay?"
Turning toward the door as the lacky arrives.
"Of course, Philostrato. Let's be on our way."
Orthos looks to Mercurio.
"Sorry to leave you like this. If you're here when I return, I'll do what I can to help. If not I'll contact you as we spoke."
Orthos takes his book and follows Philostrato.

Sema4 said...

Varel tries to respond to Orthos but chokes up and screams in anguish, then resumes crying inconsolably.

Varel very clearly needs a hug!

fishofdeath said...

Right after Orthos leaves, Laurie appears in the doorway.

"Oh! I wish I got more warning about these things."

She rubs the back of her neck as she talks. "I suppose the night is gone now. Are we going to meet again in the morning?"

Mercurio said...

Mercurio turns to Nibben. "Well, our search come ta an' end! Tha' wos easy."

He looks at Orthos and nods. "Na worries, mate. We good like ya says."

He nods to Laurie. "Er.. yeh, we chat later," he says with a wink.

He scoops up a nearby wine bottle, peers inside to see if there are any cockroaches, then takes a long swig. He walks over to Varel and sits down next to her. He puts one arm around her, and takes another drink with his other hand.

"Roit, lass. Wot eatin' ya?" he says in a rather uncharacteristically soothing voice.

Sema4 said...

Varel sobs uncontrollably into Mercurio's chest. After a few minutes she mutters,

"Wolfie... he ran away..."

She then drinks the remainder of Mercurio's glass of wine and passes out.

fishofdeath said...

Laurie walks over to Varel and sits next to her as well. "Poor girl." She reaches over and gently guides Varel so she's leaning on Laurie's chest, smoothing down her hair.

"Do you think this is a result of the deck's magic as well, or some other cause? Oh, and it is safe for me to stay here, although I should not overstay my welcome."

Mercurio said...

After Varel's comment, Mercurio remains somber and quiet.

He she passes out, he let's out a large snort, followed by peals of laughter.

He calms down as he responds to Laurie, "Roit, dunnae wot thisabout. Tha' card shite seem jusa curse."

He looks at both Laurie and Nibben. "Dunnae bout ya folk, but I na' fer sleepin' in this Spook House. I cen fin' a safe 'ouse we stay. I made plansa see Orthos later, that. I do think she (nods at Varel) na' stay 'ere. She weird sad, she might spill wot she do ta some folk wanna lock her shite up."

fishofdeath said...

"I'll help you with Varel, but I think we should wait for Orthos to return. I doubt he'll be very long."

Mercurio said...

"Roit, tha why I says we split. Folk leave an' bad shite 'appen to 'em." He pauses and turns to Laurie.

"So, yeh, wot 'appen ta you?"

fishofdeath said...

"Someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Well, I suppose I could have, but I think it's better all around I accepted it."
She absentmindedly rubs the back of her neck again while she's talking.

Mercurio said...

Mercurio furrows his brow while smirking. "Roit. Well. There th' fact that mos' folk weird out by ya'. Ya no' gotta way ta look, uh... ta fit, that? At leas' trya walk hunch ova like ya piss at somethin. Tha' 'elp."

Orthos said...

The door to Orthos' room swings open again and in strides and elderly woman.
"What is this?"
She shakes her finger at everyone.
"Why this is not at all proper! Men and women and... gnomes, for goodness' sake!"
"It's well past midni..." She begins to chuckle and her image shimmers and changes, revealing a smiling Orthos.
"But seriously, I just received a letter I'd like to discuss with all of you tomorrow morning, we can meet at one of the parks here at the school. If that's alright."

fishofdeath said...

"I think with a hat or a scarf, maybe some make-up, I should be able to..." Laurie begins to answer Mercurio when the old woman comes in the door. She jumps up. "Wait. I'm allowed to be in here. I'm working for L...you!"
She smiles and punches Orthos lightly on the shoulder. "Very funny! In the park, after breakfast then? See you then."