Sunday, June 22, 2008

Party games

Scene: The Great Hall of the College of High Summoning in Freybourne, on the day of Lord Virgis Grimrune's 194th birthday. Just seconds ago, an attempt was made on his life via a poisoned dart. The aristocratic crowd is on the verge of pandemonium with the knowledge that the would-be assassin remains undiscovered and at-large within the Great Hall, which has been magically sealed.

Virgis: My apologies if any of you had other plans, but no one will be leaving until my assailant makes him- or herself known. I understand that it may be troubling to have a killer walking among you, but please do not let it spoil your merriment. Your safety is guaranteed.

Qroc: Yeah, what he said. The food's probably fine, or else you'd all probably have croaked by now. So eat! Drink up! Keep the music playing! It's a party, for fuck's sake!

The troubadours take up their instruments again and play as commanded, though their eyes cast nervously about the room. The crowd murmurs through forced, unnatural smiles.

Virgis: This has turned into a very splendid party indeed, Qroc. So many surprises, and more to come, no doubt. Why, I'm positively tickled.

Qroc: Wow. If only I had known that's what it would take to make you happy, Master, I could have been hiring hit men all this time. Anyway, what now? We play pin-the-tail-on-the-assassin?

Virgis: Indeed...

CAST OF CHARACTERS:






11 comments:

Sema4 said...

Varel arrived to the party late, as always. She lowered her hand to comfort Wolfie, only to remember that she had the foresight to leave him on the city's outskirts. She was nervous at first, but after partaking of several libations she gaily joined the nights festivities and (badly) sang...

I want to run with the city people,
dancing too and fro.
I want to laugh with the lovely people,
everywhere I go.

Kicking evil in the nuts,
just ain't enough for me.
Why stay bored and all alone,
When there's so much there to see!


Her heel breaks then, nearly sending her crashing to the floor... but instead awkwardly into Orthos' arms. "Oh, silly Orthos. I told you that the faeries were everywhere. You had only to look!"

Orthos said...

Orthos catches Varel and helps her to her feet. "I don't know what you mean. These are wizards not faeries." Then, turning toward Salbadore, he asks, “Are you well? Someone tried to assassinate Lord Virgis and struck you instead."

Sema4 said...

Varel leans on a nearby chair and grins widely. "Oh, an assassin. How exciting! I read a book about assassins once, you know. Sounds like our host needs a few heroes!"

She does her best to fix her heel, then takes off looking for an animal to interrogate. Maybe the mice saw something the other guests might have missed?

da solomon said...

No sooner than Orthos can ask his question, Salbadore rolls back over and hits the floor on his hands and knees.

"huu-WAUGH!"

Immediately he horks up something nasty and black.

"Gurgle."

Still wide-eyed and weak, Salbadore lolls his head to the side and bobs it around - oh, er . . . he's actually trying to nod or something. His lips are moving. Yeah, he's kinda fucked up.

"I'm . . . fine. I need some water."

Orthos said...

Orthos steps back from Salbadore to protect his shoes. "I'll uh, see if I can find some water for you Dorey."

fishofdeath said...

Dame Harrowsong moves gracefully across the floor towards Lord Grimrune. "What an interesting party so far. Any plans for catching your little party crasher?"

Orthos said...

Duke Ivor Youngblood strides forward as well. "Aye Lord Virgis, let's have at this assassin and be done with it. I prefer to celebrate without constantly glancing over my shoulder, or sniffing at my wine for poison."

HomoDM said...

The Devil Tamer nods. "Well, I suppose I could use magic to determine the identity of the assassin, but where's the sport in that? What fun is a birthday celebration without a good game? And do we truly deserve to be considered the wisest magi in the land if we cannot use our minds to solve this puzzle?"

"I propose that we use our talents to look for clues. As the assassin's identity becomes more clear, and the noose begins to tighten around his or her neck, I expect the killer will reveal him- or herself through some desperate action or other."

da solomon said...

"Lord Grimrune is right! We should meet the challenge that the assassin has issued! Here! I have the proverbial gauntlet."

It is none other than Lord Segon Quentachi, the Arch Enchanter, and he is holding a needle up to the light. He squints and examines it.

"Too bad that there is nothing personalized about a needle . . ."

He smiles. How nice he is to look at - Or how frustrated and ugly does he make you feel?

". . . or is there? Surely the Dame Harrowsong" - smile!, dash!, glimmer! - "can reveal a little something about this instrument?"

Mercurio said...

"That sounds like a challenge," says Lord Plutus, walking before the crowd, making his presense known, "And Lord Plutus never backs down from a challenge!" Lord Plutus is dressed in his finest, though his choice of attire seem almost out of place. His chainmail glimmers with an unnatural shine, and his swordarm never lingers long away from his jeweled blade at his side. He casts a discerning eye around those gathered, looking at guests as if he were sizing up a foe. His deep baritone voice reverberates and echoes off the walls as he continues. "What I can say is this assassin is a coward! His... or her attack relied solely off of luck and chance, and not mettle and strength!" He practically shouts the last few words.

da solomon said...

"oh, Joresi's blood . . ." you can hear Segon Quentachi's enthusiasm melt as Plutus makes his entry. "Lord Plutus."

The high evocateur awaits the High Evoker's polite greeting before continuing. "I take it that your stunning talents will be applied in an unexplosive manner until the Dame Harrowsong can tell us a bit about our would-be assassin."