Saturday, July 12, 2008

Interlude

Salbadore and Orthos decide that the brigand leader will be taken to the sheriff to face justice. His accomplices, meanwhile, are made to bury the charred remains of the driver. Deprived of their weapons and armor, they are released to whatever fate awaits them after having to endure a stern lecture from Salbadore in which they are exhorted to never steal again.

The party makes camp for the night, setting watches to make sure their prisoner does not escape and that his friends do not return and take them by surprise. Fortunately, the evening passes uneventfully.

Deciding that the robbers' items may be traded in town, Salbadore elects to keep them. Speaking a command word, he activates the ebony figurine given to him by Qroc. It inflates into a fly approximately the size of a pony, and the young genomancer loads the brigands' weapons and armor upon the loathsome creature.

After three more days of unremarkable travel, the party finds itself still a day outside of Corcoran. The next morning, they awake to find Mercurio and Varel gone. A note has been left in their place: “Gone for a tick. Will meet you on the road to Dale-Town. M & V.”

To his dismay, Salbadore discovers that the ebony fly cannot be activated for more than three days at a time. Without a pack animal, and now missing two members of the party who might have helped bear the load, he fears he may have to leave the spoils behind; however, Nibben volunteers the use of his fantastically spacious sack if he can keep half of whatever money the stuff is worth.

The party reaches Corcoran just as the sun begins to set. Salbadore and Orthos immediately escort the brigand to the sheriff while Nibben and Laurie head directly to the marketplace in an attempt to find someone willing to buy the spare weapons and armor. They all agree to meet at the Stumbling Squirrel once their business has concluded.

Upon receiving them, the sheriff (a corpulent slug of a man) asks the two wizards to detail the allegations against their captive.

14 comments:

da solomon said...

"I am Salbadore Wolfgramm Cane. The short of it is that our hired carriage was waylaid by this dog and his pack three days ago. Wearing pigs' ears and calling themselves elves, they demanded our valuables. We lot fought back and got the better of them, wounding this one and three others. Routed the other two. In the battle, this bloke summoned a lightning bolt by means of Evocative magics, killing the coachman and the horses, as well as setting the carriage itself ablaze.

"So that's an attempt at robbery, a murder, and the destruction of property belonging to L.E.L. Horse & Beast Company of Freybourne, I believe.

"We confiscated their weapons and armor and then we had them dig a grave for the poor coachman, whose name I admit we never bothered to learn. After that we released the three other blokes we had, reckoning that we could only easily feed and transport to your custody this get here, their leader.

"There you have it - unless Master Sudlow here will want to add any details."

Orthos said...

"Unlawful use of magic," Orthos replies grimly.

HomoDM said...

"What do you have to say to these charges?" The sheriff asks the bandit.

"Um, well sir, these men have left out a coupla key details. Yes, me and my mates thought to rob 'em. Scare 'em, mostly - we thought if we looked like Elves, they'd give up their stuff peaceful-like."

"But they attacked us first, sir, with deadly force! Yes, I did use some magic to my defense, and I did use a lightning scroll to save my neck. Their driver was in the line of fire, and 'e died, but I din't mean to kill 'im, an' fer that I'm sorry."

"As for unlawful magicks, sir, they had a girl with 'em who I'm pretty sure din't go to no school to learn what she did. I seen her bring that one back from the dead, an' she made plants attack us! She ain't with 'em no more, 'cuz she knew I'd be informin' you of her crimes. But they were friendly with the witch fer sure."

"You can call the Inquisitors if you like, sir. I'm not lyin'."

The sheriff clears his throat. "You picked the wrong people to rob. These folks happen to be something of heroes in these parts, having saved a little girl from the goblins of Lakewood. As such, I'm inclined to believe their account over yours."

"But--!" The brigand begins to protest, and the fat sheriff silences him by kicking him hard in the stomach and dropping him to his knees.

"If your life were worth anything, dog, I would certainly call on the Inquisitors to settle this matter. But your life isn't worth shite, mate; you are an admitted robber, murderer, and magic-user. Tomorrow morning your bones will be crushed, and then you will hang by the neck until the breath leaves your miserable body."

The brigand begs, "But sir, my family--"

Another kick, this time to the face. "FUCK YOUR FAMILY!" The sheriff yells.

"Lock him up," he tells his men, who drag the sobbing brigand away.

"Thank you for bringing him in," the sheriff says to Salbadore and Orthos. "Rest assured that justice will be done. You two can go on about your business."

"But just in case it needs to be said, be careful of the company you keep. You have some leeway here for what you've done to help us in the past, but I wouldn't take it for granted if I were you."

"Have yourselves a pleasant evening."

Orthos said...

"I'm always glad to help when I can sheriff. I'll take your warning to heart." Orthos turns to leave.

da solomon said...

"When it comes time, Sheriff, we'll be on the right side of things. Good evening to you, sir."

Once there is some distance between them and the sheriff, Salbadore clears his throat. "Let's not . . . let's not linger in Corcoran if it can be avoided. You know, Orthos, that man earned his death, and we might have killed him ourselves. But I'm afraid that Laurie might have stepped off her cloud and right into the wrong duchy. The law is not enforced so brutally throughout Tyritrius."

da solomon said...

"Moreover: Varel must be licensed!"

HomoDM said...

Meanwhile, Laurie and Nibben scour the market and are able to find buyers for the mace, dagger, and four chain shirts. They exchange them for over two hundred gold pieces, half of which is pocketed by Nibben.

Their business concluded, they make their way to the Stumbling Squirrel, running into Orthos and Salbadore on the way.

"Oi mates!" Hobart exclaims when they enter the squirrel. "Welcome back! I hadna thought ta see ye agin, after tha' cap'n took ye off so quickly. Are ye well? Weren't there more of ye last time? What can I get ye, heroes?"

fishofdeath said...

Laurie smiles to Hobart as she sidles up to the bar. "I don't think we expected to be back so soon ourselves. Why don't you give us a round to wash the dust of the road from our throats, and later, if you'll let me use your taproom again, perhaps I could earn our rooms for the night?"

After hearing Hobart's answer, she takes the drinks over to a table with Orthos, Sal, and Nibben.

HomoDM said...

"I'd be honored t' 'ave ye sing fer us rubes," Hobart says. "Georgie! A round fer our friends!"

HomoDM said...

[Ale and 650xp for everyone!]

HomoDM said...

The next morning, the party is treated to an ample spread of food. "Yer little friend left early," Hobart explains. "Paid for yer breakfast and left ye a note."

It reads: Good morning, hungry humans! By the time you read this, I will be gone. Last night I received a tip about a Gnomish slave wagon and I've gone to investigate on my own. It's better this way. Thanks to those of you who stood up for me when it mattered. I hope we meet again some day. Good luck on all your adventures and take care. --N. Badwrench

"Anyway, best eat up!" Hobart says. "Ye don't wanna miss the hangin'!"

*****

The main square of the town is crowded by people who have come to watch the execution. In the row nearest the gallows stands a homely woman and four small, skinny children. You conclude that they are the brigand's family, as they are the only ones crying.

The sheriff speaks: "Hear ye, hear ye! Upon the authority of His Grace, Duke Abelard Youngblood, and by the laws of Kauhedl, Horace Dunkel is hereby condemned to be crushed and hanged for the crimes of robbery, murder, and unlawful use of magic. Horace Dunkel, have you any last words?"

Horace speaks to the woman in the front row. "I'm sorry, Gertie. I'm so sorry."

"Commence the punishment," the sheriff commands.

First, Horace is laid spread-eagle on the ground, his hands and feet fastened with ropes attached to stakes. The sheriff's men unload a wagon carrying four large stone cylinders that, judging by how many men it takes to lift them, appear immensely heavy. A wooden rod is inserted through a hole in the middle of each, such that they resemble giant stone rolling pins. These are then pressed and rolled repeatedly over Horace's legs and arms, creating a sickening wet, crunching sound. He screams horribly as the bones in his limbs are crushed into tiny fragments.

The crowd loves it, with the exception of Horace's children (who are crying uncontrollably) and his soon-to-be widow (who is tearing out her hair).

Horace is then dragged up the stairs to the gallows, and a noose is placed around his neck. Delirious with pain, he searches the crowd for his wife's face. "I love y-- herk!"

The trapdoor is released and Horace drops, twitching and convulsing. The crowd cheers!

And then, after a few dreadful moments, it is over.

fishofdeath said...

Laurie watches the hanging just long enough to ferret out the man's family, and then turns her back. After the hanging is over, she approaches them and says a few, hushed words before handing the woman a small pouch and walking away.

Orthos said...

Orthos rises early, grabbing some fruit for breakfast, and a couple for later. He pens a quick note for his companions, stating that he'll meet them on the road, just outside of town, and heads out.

da solomon said...

Salbadore takes breakfast courtesy of Nibben. He remains at the Stumbling Squirrel, where he busies himself with plume and parchment. When the cheers have settled and the townspeople have resumed their business, Salbadore hands a letter to Hobart along with coppers enough to see to its delivery.